The Block SHUTS DOWN due to coronavirus: Filming is suspended and teams are sent home as a safety precaution
Filming has been suspended on the upcoming season of The Block due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A Nine spokesperson said on Thursday: ‘The current production of The Block brought five teams from across Australia to Melbourne to compete in its 16th season.
‘Due to increasing travel bans, border shutdowns and additional measures, The Block has made the decision to suspend filming and send contestants home, while it is still possible to do so.’
The Block SHUTS DOWN due to coronavirus: It was revealed on Thursday that filming has been suspended and teams were sent home as a safety precaution. Host Shelley Craft is pictured on set last Friday
The spokesperson added that professional tradespeople are still working at the site in Melbourne’s Brighton.
‘Separately from contestants, The Block employs many tradespeople and freelancers, who rely on income earned from The Block for a living,’ they said.
‘The Block remains an active construction site with tradespeople, who live locally, completing building works that provide the framework of some homes.’
They added: ‘The Block looks forward to returning contestants back to Melbourne and resuming production when practicable to do so.
Carrying on: They added that professional tradespeople are still working at the site in Melbourne’s Brighton (pictured is host Scott Cam)
‘The Block is scheduled to air on Nine later this year.’
It comes after hosts Shelley Craft, 43, and Scott Cam, 57, were seen looking on edge last Friday while on set in Melbourne’s Brighton, amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The beloved duo appeared frazzled as they strode around the busy construction site, surrounded by tradespeople and production staff.
Safety first: Channel Nine said earlier this week, that they were taking things ‘day by day’ when it came to filming amid the pandemic. Pictured is the boarded up site next to a unit
At one stage, Scott looked like he was having a tense phone call in-between filming scenes.
Channel Nine said earlier this week that they were taking things ‘day by day’ when it came to filming amid the pandemic.
A spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday that the ‘safety and well-being of contestants and essential staff is of the utmost concern for production.’
Photos taken at the Brighton worksite last weekend showed several hand sanitiser stations and a sign that read ‘you must wash your hands using the sanitiser provided.’
Precautions: Photos taken at the Brighton worksite last weekend showed several hand sanitiser stations and a sign that read ‘you must wash your hands using the sanitiser provided’
In photos obtained by Daily Mail Australia earlier this year, five houses dating from the 1930s to 1960s could be seen on the building site.
Last year, it was reported that some elderly residents near the site were ‘selling their homes’ amid fears the show would ‘ruin’ their quiet street.
The Andrina Nursing Home was based at the address until 2014, before it was knocked down with developers hoping to build 13 luxury townhouses.
After these plans eventually fell through and the site was left empty for years, Nine’s MicJoy Pty Ltd purchased the spot in April 2019 for $14.96million.
According to Domain, the company’s application mentioned ‘relocating five homes to the site’ – similar to the show’s 2017 season in Elsternwick.
As of Thursday morning, there are 2,675 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia and 11 deaths.
Concerns: Last year, it was reported that some elderly residents near the site were ‘selling their homes’ amid fears the show would ‘ruin’ their quiet street
Pandemic: As of Thursday morning, there are 2,675 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia and 11 deaths