Home / Entertainment News / ALYSSA MILANO DEFENDS #METOO AMID ASIA ARGENTO SCANDAL

ALYSSA MILANO DEFENDS #METOO AMID ASIA ARGENTO SCANDAL

Alyssa Milano defended the #MeToo Movement after one of its leading voices, Asia Argento, was accused of sexual assault.

The 45-year-old opened up in a sit-down with ABC’s Good Morning America. "People that have been abused can also be abusers, and that's a sad fact," she said.

But Milano said #MeToo will survive. "I don't have any fears about the #MeToo movement," she said. "They can call this movement whatever they want. To me, what that only does it enables us to identify issues, the problems and then discuss them, get them out in the open."

If anything, she said she sees the movement "swelling" and getting "stronger."

ACCUSATIONS AGAINST ARGENTO

Argento was one of the first to accuse the disgraced Oscar-winning producer Harvey Weinstein of misconduct, including rape.

But earlier this week, The New York Times issued a blistering report claiming that Argento paid off Jimmy Bennett with $380,000 after he accused her of assault. (She denied the allegations and said they never had sex, but reports including alleged texts she sent and a shirtless selfie taken in bed seemed to contradict her story).

Bennett spoke out for the first time Wednesday.

"I have not made a public statement in the past days and hours because I was ashamed and afraid to be part of the public narrative," part of his statement read. "I was underage when the event took place, and I tried to seek justice in a way that made sense to me at the time because I was not ready to deal with the ramifications of my story becoming public. At the time I believed there was still a stigma to being in the situation as a male in our society."